Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for your nice comments about the applique I showed you in my post yesterday. I really want to learn this technique so I plan on trying more projects. Raw edge first, then needle turned.  Baby steps… J

Today I want to talk about the fabric sheets I used to make Jen’s quilt. I have the flimsy finished and am getting ready to baste and quilt.

Jen's Photo Quilt - Flimsy Finished

Please forgive the crappy picture. The sun was beautiful in the morning but of course I didn’t have the top ready. Then it started to cloud up because we are expecting several days of rain. And then the wind picked up. I’m just happy to have managed one decent full size shot! But I digress…..

When I decided to make this type of quilt I had no idea what brand of fabric sheets to use. I was limited to what I could find locally because of the time frame. I found the June Tailor brand at JoAnn:

Juen Tailor Fabric Sheets

I chose this brand because there were 25 sheets in this package and I knew I would need just about that many. Dritz also makes fabric sheets, but the instructions for prep and care were on the inside of the package. This packaging has instructions on the back so I knew what I had to do before I left the store. I liked that.

The instructions say to set the print settings to print plain paper and normal quality. After printing a sample using the ‘normal’ quality, I felt that using a ‘Better’ or ‘Best” quality setting would print the pics more crisply so I tried that. This is what I got:

Better quality on Fabric sheet

….a picture that stopped printing before it was done. See how it didn’t finish on the bottom? (I used the pic in the quilt anyway – it’s such a great picture of Jen.)

Because I was using my laptop, which is really old, it probably was a memory problem. So for the other pictures, I resized them smaller and printed them at the ‘Better’ quality setting and they worked fine.

Fabric Sheet Printed

After the pictures are printed, the backing paper is peeled off and they need to be ironed with high heat, no steam. Then they are given a cold water rinse and ironed dry again. This is to make them colorfast. Even with all this, the instructions say the sheets can only be washed in cold water on a gentle cycle or by hand and no detergent. These are not to go in the dryer. You might not want to use these on a quilt that will get a lot of use.

I am a bit disappointed in the feel of the fabric sheets. The packaging states this is 100% cotton fabric and is “ideal for sewing”. My experience so far is that they are stiff and the material feels nothing like fabric. I also tested a spare piece to see how it would handle if I needed to rip a seam. The needle leaves big holes and there is no hiding that. So there are a few seams in the top that I would have fixed but I left them because I didn’t want those holes.

I will not be quilting over the fabric sheets because of the hole issue. My plan is to just stitch in the ditch around them. Maybe a less dense quilting design will keep the quilt a bit cuddly. I’ll let you know how that works out!

If I have another project in the future I might give the Dritz brand a try to see if they are any different. I had even considered doing the transfer sheets, like for t-shirts. But I was worried about how much wear an iron-on could withstand. I really would have liked a softer drape in these ‘fabric’ sheets. But overall, this quilt is pretty much what I wanted. The family will love it and I am glad to have a way to show my love and support.

Now for a windy outtake shot, just because. 🙂 I’m happy it didn’t blow out of the tree!

Flimsy Finish

Linking up with Needle & Thread Thursday