I have had so much fun working on this quilt!  You can read more about how I started it in this post.

 

Because of the name, I decided to add some applique flowers to the front.  They were fun to make, but time consuming. I really like how they look though – I think the background prints really set off the flowers.  I debated adding blingy buttons to the centers of the flowers, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it!  🙂  Although, some little girl might really like a couple of blingy buttons….


CLOSEUP OF FLOWERS

The actual applique part was pretty easy, it’s like coloring with thread instead of crayons.  It’s called raw edge applique. It has a kind of messy look which is pretty forgiving and hides my mistakes.  I’m usually not a messy kind of girl, but in this case I think it fits perfectly with the style of the quilt.

The back is a striped fabric I found that has many of the colors from the front.  I was worried working with a stripe – I was afraid I would have everything crooked.  But, it worked out pretty well.  Not perfect, but that’s okay!

The quilting was fun to do.  I used a simple “L” and “e” on the sashing with a pale pink thread on top and an oyster color in the bobbin.  I learned the L&e technique through a Craftsy class I took by Elizabeth Dickson.  It’s easy for a beginner FMQer like myself and added a bit of fun.  The rest of the quilt is a meandering loopy pattern.  You can see close-ups of both below:


CLOSE-UP OF L&E


CLOSE-UP OF QUILTING

The binding is leftover fabric from the backing.  I like the way the striped binding frames the front of the quilt and blends on the back.


PICTURE OF BINDING

All in all, a fun quilt for me to make.  Let me know what you think about that blingy button idea.  It’s not too late to add it! 🙂

FYI: This is the first post I’m using with my photos stored on Flickr.  Please let me know if this doesn’t work on your end or causes problems with this page loading.  I think I did it right, but won’t know until this post goes live.  Thanks!

Beth